BT Premiership



MAGNIFICENT Marr Rugby's 1st XV savoured a rare win that was even more impressive as it was achieved on the road against second placed Currie and earned five vital points.

Results elsewhere means Marr remain in the race for survival, with the chase going down to the wire. It sets up a Super Saturday - on March 3- when the final round of matches is scheduled to take place for almost all BT Premiership clubs. Marr Rugby play host to Stirling County RFC and a bonus point win is essential as part of again looking at how other results impact.

Meanwhile Marr Rugby's 2nd XV found the going tough at Stoneyhill with the home side edging a close encounter with a last play converted try.

Marr Rugby’s 1st XV’s first visit to Malleny Park to play second top Currie had the bookies showing extreme odds for a comfortable home win. Marr’s squad and coaching team had other ideas and started with some promise and pressure. Marr’s early efforts came unstuck as a loose pass was intercepted by Curie’s Charlie Shiel who took full advantage of the available open space to sprint home from 60 metres.

Marr quickly hit back. Glasgow Warrior draft player Lelia Masaga was released down the right wing and needed no second invitation to race home to score in the corner. Currie replied with a converted penalty.

Two minutes later, Marr took the lead asunder pressure Currrie conceded a penalty. Rory McGee slotted the ball to the corner for an attacking lineout. From the play Marr’s Italian international Samu Vunisa, the Warriors back-row, peeled off and sliced through the defence and in to score. The try was converted by stand-off Rory McGee.

The advantage was stretched when winger Scott Bickerstaff scored after a great solo run and McGee converted.

Just before half-time, the try bonus point was achieved through centre Conor Bickerstaff. That left the score 24-10 at the interval.

From the start of the second half it was clear that Currie’s team talk at half-time was had positive effect. The side played with even greater determination and vigour. Marr was forced to defend in depth and under extreme pressure as Currie hammered home phase after phase of attacks. Marr were being pummelled. Rare possession and territory followed as the hosts launched repeated assaults. Marr managed soaked up most of the pressure but along the way lost some key players. Currie’s determination paid off as they scored two tries. This closed the match with a losing home bonus point while Marr Rugby’s players, led by example by captain Angus Johnston, defiantly held on to win and take home the spoils.

Marr Rugby 1st XV man of the match – Angus Johnston

BT Reserve National League Two



THERE was heartbreak for Marr on the East Coast as in the final play they ceded a three point advantage when Musselburgh scored a converted try.

With International fixtures, Marr Rugby’s senior sides now go into a rest and recovery week before facing the final tilt at survival as the 1s welcome Stirling. The 2s are all but guaranteed second spot in their league while the 3s want to continue to march ahead and progress up the league.