Evening Times League Champions Cup Semi-Final



by Frank Cassidy

TWO late goals decided what had been a closely contested match at Loch Park.

With Glenafton double winners and visitors Girvan First Division champions there was much back-slapping before kick-off.

Glenafton lined up to applaud their opponents on the park with Girvan then forming another guard of honour to do likewise for Glens.

Both squads and management were then presented with their league-championship-winning medals.

A place in the Evening Times Cup Final against Glasgow Perthshire was at stake which, for Glenafton, represented the chance of a treble.

Glens started better, creating several chances, with goalkeeper Scott Johnstone clearing from Conor Lynass.

Girvan's first opportunity came when a Craig Reid cross found Andy Stevenson at the back post, who headed just wide.

Joe Andrew then found himself one-on-one with Johnstone, who managed to block the shot.

All this was before the 15-minute mark had been reached and more of the same entertained the fans, to take their minds of the invasion of midges.

Ironically, the first goal almost came after a comedy of errors when Chris Meikle headed back to his keeper Blair Lochhead, who missed the ball, which then clattered off the post.

Glens broke the deadlock, at the right end, in 36 minutes when John Carter snapped up a half-chance after a melee in the box.

Peter Leonard's side were by no means out of it and, after withstanding early pressure in the second half, Robert Patterson equalised in 64 minutes. The hosts were making heavy weather of clearing their lines and he finished well.

Lynass fell awkwardly and appeared to twist his knee on the turf, with players from both sides urging the referee to stop the game.

After a lengthy delay during treatment the winger was stretchered off with Daniel Oris replacing him.

Orsi then forced a series of corners, linking up well with David Gray and Kyle McAusland on one occasion.

His contribution laid dividends when he laid off a ball to Cammy Marlow, who dispatched a superb shot which went in off the post.

Glens were were awarded a penalty after visiting skipper Scott Dinwoodie handled and Davie Gray netted.